Re: /var/lib/dpkg on diskless linux

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 10:12:20AM +0100, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> However i was wondering about /var/lib/dpkg. Normally, in a diskless cluster,
> every client gets its own copy of /etc, /dev and /var, while /bin, /sbin, /lib
> and /usr are there only once.
> /var/lib/dpkg, however, which is NOT specifc for each client, occupies some
> 10 to 20 MB of disk space. Also, if i install or upgrade packages on the server,
> the change is not reflected in the client's copy of /var/lib/dpkg.
>
> My questions:
>  1) Why is this stuff in /var? Shouldn't it rather go to /usr?

Interesting question. The files in /var/lib/dpkg/info are mostly constant;
the scripts in particular, so those could/should possibly go in /usr.
However, /var/lib/dpkg/available and status are databases, which puts
them in /var.

>  2) Can i replace /var/lib/dpkg on the clients with a link to the server's
>     /var/lib/dpkg?
>  3) Is /var/lib/dpkg only used at install/upgrade time?

Only dpkg and dselect and apt usr /var/lib/dpkg. Your clients might not
need it at all; if you do all package installation/maintainence on the server,
it won't matter if it doesn't exist on the clients or is out of date.

I experimented with remote booting and NFSROOT here a while back.
My template /var/lib for each client machine was empty.

Hamish