Re: Sound Board

Hamori Andras wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>

> >       With 2.2, the config of sound drivers occurs outside the kernel
> > config.  You can no longer build the sound modules into the
> > kernel, they must be built as modules.  With sb16, for example I
> > need a config line like:
> >
> >       options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
> >
> > in /etc/modules.conf.
> >       The above doesn't apply to 2.0 kernels, so your problem might not
> > be related to configuration of the sound module. If you are using
> > a 2.2 kernel then see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Introduction.
> >

> Isn't it just the opposite? Under 2.0, I've always configured and compiled
> the sound module separately, but when I used Slackware 3.0, the kernel
> (v2.0.27) shipped with it had the SB driver compiled in, although I never
> succeeded in configuring the sound driver in the kernel config. Under 2.2,
> there's no opportunity for configuring and/or compiling the sound module
> on its own, it's just like any other standard kernel driver. Too bad that
> I couldn't get it working with my AD1848-based Aztech card, nor could I
> compile the old driver for 2.2, so I'm still back on 2.0.37.
>
> Andras

	First of all, if anyone noticed, the Intro file I referred to
above is actually in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/Introduction.
                                            ^^^^^

	Now, Hamori, you can still compile sound as a module or into the
kernel with 2.2.  What's changed is that, *if you compile as a
module*, you can't configure the module in the kernel config (make
menuconfig).  The module must be configured either at the time its
loaded (insmod sb <options>) or in /etc/modules.conf.
	Under the sound section of the kernel config, I can select 'Sound
Card Support' as a module (sound.o), followed by 'OSS sound
modules' as a module (soundcore.o?), followed by '100% Sound
Blaster compatibles', again as a module (sb.o).  You just can't
*configure* them at this time (as explained above - this is whats
changed since 2.0).
	I know nothing about the Aztech cards, sorry.

HTH
--
Ed C.