Re: more ram and larger harddrive then the bios can take

On Mon, 22 Mar, 1999 à 06:13:13PM -0600, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> Jeff,

[...]
> I was never able to get my PC (a 3 year old pentium) to access more than 8.4GB. Even
> that was only after flashing my ROM to the latest version. I could access the entire
> drive from both Win98 and Linux if the drive was a secondary (non-boot) drive.
> However, I needed to remove the other drives from the system so I was stuck. My advice
> is to read the above FAQ and proceed with caution.

I've just tried with an old 486 (the mother board is (C) 1994) and a 10GB
drive as /dev/hdc. No way to declare the right parameters to the bios so I
just added append="hdc=19650,16,63" in /etc/lilo.conf and it works like a
charm. If I should wish to use it as /dev/hda I'll try that :
 - declare the disk as xxxx,16,63 to the bios
 - take care of keeping a partition (/boot) entirely in the first xxxx
     cylinders
 - use the append trick for hda

Oh, ther's something surprising on this old 486 : the bios sees all the
24MB RAM but the kernel sees only 16 of them. If I put an append="mem=24M"
all the memory is used. I was aware of this problem for 64MB but for 16 ???

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\