deb2.1 ftp / fmirror problem... HELP!!!!!

Is there a place to tweek with TCP protocol parameters?, time outs
etc?  are there buffer/mtu settings for ftp? Does ftp do any clever
things like slide the mtu for file transfers?

I'm have a weird problem with fmirror and ftp on a newly built Debian
2.1 machine. The machine is totally new (hw & sw) but the network
connection, host name, and ip address were in use for over a year with
no problems.

I've been trying to establish a mirror of debian.org with fmirror. It
gets the file lists and maybe even a few small files. But it freezes
on larger files. Two files in particular stop transfering at EXACTLY
the same place  all of the 50 or so times I've tried !!! I've tried
5 different debian ftp sites at different times of the day, all with
no luck, other machines on our network can get the files. Both ftp
and fmirror lock up at the same place.

The two files that fail are at the beginning of the download and I
can't get past them. Every time I try both ftp and fmirror the file
transfers stop, they are;

----------------file name-----------   --size--  -stops at-   %
debian/dists/potato/Contents-alpha.gz  1,112,724  112,944    10.2
               ..../Contents-i386.gz   1,483,689  260,640    17.6

Permissions in the target directory are correct, the machine serves
web pages fine with apache, has mirrored (raid1) drives and otherwise
seems fine.

I'm going nuts !!!!! any suggestions?

TIA,
Chris