Re: One more possibly-dumb question...

> Greetings-
>
> In a previous message, I described my recent libc6 drama and how I
> backed out of it.
>
> I notice now that when I boot up my machine, that root is logged in (as
> in, sitting in /root logged in and everything) right before xdm runs.
>
> I have never noticed this before... this does not seem right to me,
> either.  Can someone tell me why this would be?

This looks like the well-known problem with the changed format of utmp
and wtmp when going from libc5 to libc6.  These files are used to
record who is logged in, and they are read by programs like finger.

This is what it says in the README-upgrade file from the slink-CD:

3. You need to move the wtmp file and truncate the utmp file:
   cd /var/log
   mv wtmp wtmp.libc5
   touch wtmp
   cd /var/run
   cp /dev/null utmp
4. You might want to reboot again to make sure

By the way:  the cd_autoup.sh script on the slink CD is as broken as the
one on the (first) hamm CD was.  There is a misspelling in the name of
the directory that contains the debs necessary for the upgrade, and in
that directory there is a host of broken links to be admired.  Maybe it
is better to include a description of what to do rather then providing a
buggy script.

HTH,
Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032