Installing Slink - II

Hi,

	Some more details from my install experience...

-  I notice that dselect now has options installing from a CD and
installing from a CD set (option 2). Option 2 seems to be the default.
Whats the difference? I heard that Slink could not be fitted into one CD
anymore, so I assumed that option 2 is the right thing to select. But in
which case, why is the install from a single CD even an option at all?

-  I noticed the following message when I had previously installed Hamm. I
didnt ask about it then, but now my curiosity has been piqued :

find: /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt/debian/dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386
dpkg : subprocess find returned error exit status 1
update available list script returned error exit status 1

A.  Why does my distribution (supplier : LSL) not have the non-free
packages? Isnt it supposed to? If not, where would I get it from?

B.  Why is this treated as an error when I didnt indicate that I wanted to
install non-free packages?

-  There is definitely a bug in the Networking configuration scripts. Here
is what the file /etc/init.d/network looked like after my first reboot :

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
ifconfig ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

Quite clearly, the 'ifconfig' command generated is wrong. It should read :

ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}

... and once I made this correction, my networking started working
correctly.

-  During bootup, I get a message saying (approx) : lspci not found, so
PCI resource conflict not detected.
	What is this all about?

-  When I tried the install, I got :

Cannot open /var/lib/dpkg/methods/multicd/available : No such file or
directory.

   I checked the directory mentioned, and indeed, the 'available' file
doesnt exist. The only file in that directory is titled
'shvar.multicd'. Why the heck does this happen?

	Anyway, I went ahead and tried installing with option 1 specified
(single CD). It seemed to work, though I did observe the following
problems :

-  The postgres install goes through and sets PGDATA somewhere in the /var
filesystem. This is not where I wanted it. The package doesnt prompt me
for this.

-  While configuring the new (NNTP) server, right after I specify the
usenet alias (as a non-root user), I get :

1999-03-19 15:58:03 Failed to open configuration file /etc/exim.conf

	Should I open bug reports for the problems that I observed?

Regards,
Jor-el