How to create /dev/eth*?

I recently got a DSL connection at home.  When I first installed Linux in
this machine at home it did not have an ethernet card.  I used to use ppp
to connect to the net.  This machine is running slink from the mid-feb
time-frame.

I copied over /etc/init.d/network from another Debian box and edited the
IP, GATEWWAY etc. parts.  I notice that I do not have /dev/eth*.  How do I
create these /dev/eth* entries?

Plug:

Brad in Kingston technologies' tech support line was really helpful.  I
called Kingston expecting the "I'm sorry.  We do not support Linux"
response.  I asked Brad what chipset theit KNE110/TX PCI ethernet cards
were based on.  He immediately pulled up a URL which talks about Linux
support for this card (http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/pnic.html)
and emailed it to me.

Thaths
PS: Would appreciate if you Cc-ed me in your replies to this thread.
--
"For a school with no Asian kids I think we put up a pretty darn good
               science fair!" -- Principal Skinner