Re: System Hosed a.k.a Don't be nice to the wife and Mother-in-law!!

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 11:08:33AM -0500, Person, Roderick wrote:
> The Problem
> So here is the problem. I boot to wdm. But now it does startx it drops and
> my screen flashes off and on. I need to disable wdm before it starts. I
> can't crtl+alt+backspace,  crtl+c, crtl+z or even crtl+alt+F3. I tried to
> use the rescue disk but it booted me to wdm. How can I boot to the console,
> I must be missing a parameter for the rescue method. Also, I normally boot
> with loadlin!!

Sounds like your XF86 configuration is hosed.

try:

 loadlin <kernel> single

(Replacing "<kernel>" with the filename of your kernbel, as normal for
loadlin).

This should dump you into a root login prompt, and thence to a shell we're
you'll have about 3 processes running. Handy.

If things are *really* dir, do loadin <kernel> -b, but you might be amazed
how unpleasant that is...

HTH

SRH
--
Steve Haslam, Validation Engineer, ARM Ltd, Cambridge UK     +44-1223-400677
steve.haslam@arm.com       steve@arise.demon.co.uk        araqnid@debian.org