samba: Operation not permitted (was: Re: vfat -> cp: file: Operation not permitted)

Hello,

Some time ago, there was discussion of the "Operation not permitted" error
on FAT partitions, and someone suggested the `quiet' option.

Does such an option exist for Samba? (smbfs)

> > > It comes from the fact that cp tries to set some permissions on the
> > > destination file. That is actually not possible for VFAT.
> > > (I would prefer VFAT to silently ignore that)

Hamish Moffatt:
> Yes, "quiet" in the options line does this IIRC.
>
> "zip" for example encounters the same problem when creating a zip on
> FAT/VFAT, and removes the created zip file! Most annoying.

I ask because I'd like to be able to use `mv' to move files. If it can't
set permissions on the destination, mv behaves like cp.

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently