Re: OT: System stable at 95MHz, unstable at 100MHz

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Ares wrote:

> You may also have a power quality problem, or a problem with the system
> power supply.

That sounds plausible, and should be the first thing one checks if a
system is flakey after adding hardware.

also

Digital circuits use more power as the clock speed increases, especially
CMOS circuits [Power = FCV^2, F=frequency, C=load capacitance (of the
chip), V=voltage], which could explain why it works at a reduced clock
speed but not at full speed.  It takes just over 5% more power to clock
at 100MHz than at 95MHz, for a typical CMOS circuit.

> I would definitely try using memory from a different dealer, and failing
> that, I'd put a decent UPS on the computer.

If it is a power supply problem (as opposed to a power service problem,
i.e., the utility company), then a UPS will not be of much help.
A UPS will give you a clean and stable line voltage, but it will not
compensate for a power supply that just can't handle the load.

- Bruce