Problems with rvplayer and sb16 vibra

My machine is a quite old Dell P90 with no PnP-BIOS (or at least the clumsy
Dell setup doesn't offer any PnP options)
I'm running slink with potato updates, kernel 2.2.2-ac7
Soundcard is a 'Creative ViBRA16X PnP' ISA-card according to pnpdump.
As pnpdump only offers me 8-bit DMA channels,  I set the first sb-dma to 1
and the second one to channel 3.

Problem 1:
-----------
I downloaded the gnome 1.0 rpm-packages from ftp.gnome.org and used
alien to create deb-packages and then installed them via dselect.
so far so good - gnome looks just fine.
Unfortunately after that rvplayer 5.0 stopped working with the error msg:
   XLib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
   XLib: Client is not authorized to connect to server
   Segmentation fault
This error-msg makes no sense to me - i'm absolutely clueless...
(I start rvplayer from inside of an xrvt as other x-programs also)

Problem 2:
-----------
Before rvplayer stopped working I had another problem with it:
I'm listing to web-radio, audio only.
After a couple of minutes (10-40 min) the player just stops
playing - but no net congestion, it just stops.
Stopping the connection and restarting it resumes the audio-stream
until it stops again with the same symptoms. I don't know if this is
a sound driver problem or an rvplayer problem or a net problem.
Other players (e.g. x11amp) don't seem to have that problem...

Problem 3:
-----------
Can't play 16-bit sound!
When the sb-modules gets loaded it says invalid dma16 value!
(I set it to channel 3)
But I don't have dma channels 5 to 7 available - at least
according to pnpdump. I tried it and set the module and isapnp
configuration to channel 5 but this didn't get 16-bit to work either.
To be able to use sound at all I had to disable esd because it only
seems to be able to generate a 16-bit output.
Is it possible to patch the kernel? I could do so but I don't have
any information about the sb16 hardware :(

Hope someone can help,
Dominique.