Re: Xterm not showing Xresources changes

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 02:08:29PM -0500, MallarJ@aol.com wrote:
> I'm using KDE 1.1 & Debian 2.1 (slink):
>
> I want my xterms to be yellow on black, and use a geometry that I choose:
> Here's my /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm file:
>
>  XTerm*background: black
>  XTerm*foreground: yellow
>  XTerm*geometry:   69x28
>
> Any way I open up an Xterm window, it displays full screen in black on white.
> Why isn't it reading my resources file?

X clients do not read the resources file.  X resource declarations are
stored by the X server itself, so you need to either restart the X server,
or tell it to re-generate its resource database.

You do the latter with the xrdb command.  For instance,

xrdb -merge /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm
xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources

You want to do both of these, and in this order, in case you have any xterm
resources set in .Xresources; this will reproduce the order in which X
resources are read when the X server starts.

One thing I should warn you about.  There is apparently a bug in xrdb (or
maybe even Xlib itself) when it comes to merging translation overrides.

Translation overrides look like this:

*VT100.Translations: #override ~Meta <Key>BackSpace: string("\177")\n\
                               <Key>Delete: string("\033[3~")\n\
                               <Key>Home: string("\033OH")\n\
                               <Key>End: string("\033OF")

(The above is in the default /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm.)

If you also have translation overrides for the VT100 widget in your
.Xresources file, all the above overrides will be forgotten even if you're
not changing the events for the BackSpace, Delete, Home or End keys.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |      If you have the slightest bit of
Debian GNU/Linux                 |      intellectual integrity you cannot