Re: Someone please help me understand dselect ot Dpkg

> Hi -
>     I want to install X and I everthing I do with dpkg and dselect will
> not work, I get an error every time. I downloaded  Debian so I cannot
> acsess all of the packages directly. Someone please help.

We can help when we know the problem.  "I get errors" is like saying my car
makes funny noises -- there is a problem for sure but its cause is not clear.

In general dselect works like this:

$ <-- prompt

$ dselect
<dselect starts>
choose access method, ftp is probably for you
answer the questions
back to main screen
choose Update, this gets current package list, may take a few moments
back to main menu
choose select
in this screen the insert key adds a package and the delete removes one
   space bar gets you out of the help screens
   / searchs, \ repeats last search
hit enter when done
back to main menu
choose install
<wait for downloads and install to finish>
back to main menu
choose confgiure
answer any questions
back to main menu
choose remove
back to main menu
choose Quit

Installing the apt package gives a much more enhanced download method.