Re: segmentation errors in APT-GET

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> I wanted to upgrade to slink but there were some broken packages (including
> for some reason libc6) which I opted to fix with apt-get -f install and now

Oops. You broke your system at some point. This means all bets are off.

> Does anyone know what "Segmentation fault" means?

It means the program tried to access memory that it wasn't allowed to. A
mismatch of libraries you have and libraries used to compile the program
can cause this.

> (Or does it mean that I am hosed after having messed with the lib libraries)

There's a good chance of that. It may be possible to fix your libc and so
on, but you're going to be living on the edge. However it's sort of odd
that Apt segfaults because of a broken libc but other programs are fine -
so the problem could be elsewhere, or simply a bug in Apt. On the other
hand it could be an issue with your libstdc++ and libc not liking one
another, since most programs don't use libstdc++ and Apt does.

I'm not sure what the best course of action is. You could always reinstall
and resolve never to use --force options :-) but there is probably a
better way.

Havoc