Re: boot floopy

At 10:20 PM 3/10/1999 -0600, Craig T. Hancock wrote:
>I want tto install debina off ftp how to I make a boot floopyu I think I
>look at all the doocumentation but still could't find anything

You'll actually need to download and create several floppies -- 7 to 10,
depending on which version of Debian (hamm, slink, or potato).

A good start is to read
http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install.html. In a nutshell, you
download the file images to a DOS machine, then run "rawrite2.exe" to copy
those images to floppy disks (use GOOD floppy disks; you may need to go
through 4 or 5 before you get one that works reliably). Once you have those
disks made, just reboot off the root disk and follow the on-screen
instructions.

If you have a DOS partition on the machine you're installing linux on and
plan to keep it a while, you might find it easier to download the images
including the base2.tar (or whatever the filename is) and download loadlin
and use loadlin to start the install. This method doesn't require any
floppies, but you do need to keep the DOS partition until you're through
with the base install.