Re: fortran compilier recommendations

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 harsh@bajor2.lanl.gov wrote:

> We have a large application currently running on Dec Alpha 500/500 machines
> which we are investigating porting to a Linux platform. It consist of a
> SmallTalk engine that uses C and Fortran routines to do it's actual work.
> While all the Fortran compiles with g77/egcs we have some issues with
> optimization greater than -O0. This code is legacy code originally written
> on VMS and earlier platforms.
>
> We have tried the Portland Group's compiler with only slightly more success.
>
> So finally the question: Does any one have a recommendation for a third party
> compiler for Fortran 77 that has been throughly rung out by the user community?

Hi. Are you porting to x86 or Alpha? I've been so happy with eg77
(Debian's g77) on PPro and PII machines that I was able to avoid trying
those other choices (Portland, Absoft, etc.). The optimization up to level
3 (-O3) has worked just fine on the Intel platform in my experience, and
most f77 programs port without any changes. Of course, Digital's f77 with
the -O4 switch produces faster code per MHz on our 600MHz alpha runing
DUNIX.

Anyway, sorry I can't be of any help, but I'll be following this thread to
see if anything interesting comes up.

Thanks. Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.