Re: compiling xfree86

*- On 10 Mar, Matt Garman wrote about "compiling xfree86"

> Could anyone offer any advice or pointers as for how to custom compile
> xfree86 as a debian package?  I want to compile using egcc and only
> include support for the video driver that I need (trying to make it a

Driver binaries are independant of the other components if I am not
mistaken.

> bit leaner).  Also, I want the libraries to be "thread-safe" because
> apparently the default Debian xlibs are not compiled to be thread
> safe.

I have never done this but this is what I would try.

Download the source, diff and dsc file from you local Debian mirror,
  xfree86_3.3.2.3a-11.diff.gz         263 Kb    Thu Feb 25 05:19:00 1999
  xfree86_3.3.2.3a-11.dsc               1 Kb    Thu Feb 25 05:20:00 1999
  xfree86_3.3.2.3a.orig.tar.gz      22419 Kb    Mon Aug 24 00:00:00 1998
                                    ^^^^^^
                                     ouch!

Be careful if using a browser like Netscape that likes to screw around
with .gz files.  the diff.gz must not change size or the next step will
fail.

Put them all in a directory somewhere then run,

dpkg-source -x xfree86_3.3.2.3a-11.dsc

This will extract the archive and apply the Debian specific patches to
the original source.  Then go into the extracted directory and make your
changes to the Makefiles that would point to egcc instead of gcc and any
library paths etc.  You would probably also modify the Makefile to only
build your server binary.  Then from the main xfree86 source directory
run './debian/rules'.  Sit back and watch for a few hours depending on
how beefy a machine you have.

Branden is this a good start?

--
Brian