Re: How to get Debian and (argh!) Windows 95 machines linked through null modem?

Pablo Longhi Lorenzzoni wrote:

> Hi Debianers!!
>
>         I have a big problem and little time to solve. Can anyone help me?
>         I have to get a Debian (hamm) machine and a (argh!) Windows 95 one
> linked through a null modem cable using PPP protocol. The Debian machine can be
> able to connect Internet through ppp0.
>         I already tryed everything I know. Does anyone have any ideas?

I solved this problem as follows:

1. I configured the corresponding serial port as a standard modem on the
W**** machine.

2. I observed the modem control commands sent by the W**** machine, and
answered them as expected (OK, CONNECT, ...) so the W**** thought it was
talking to a working modem.

3. Now I run pppd from inittab (respawn) with the appropriate connect
and disconnect scripts (using chat) to automate the previous step. The
W**** machine starts up the PPP link after this fake "modem" reports a
successful connection. After that, everything should work as a normal
PPP link. Note: if you want to use both this and the Internet connection
on the Debian machine, you should write the correct ip-up and ip-down
scripts to update your routing table, and you should enable IP
forwarding in the kernel in order to enable Internet connection for the
W**** machine (I'm not sure it works, 'cause I use this whole stuff only
for connecting the two machines).

I've also got a question according to this. I'd like to get Samba
working over this nullmodem PPP link to share the disk space and the
printer on the Linux machine. I've tried a lot of fine-tunings
concerning interface and routing table settings and Samba configuration,
but the result is always the same: it sometimes works correctly
(browsing, sharing and the like), but sometimes it doesn't work at all
(the W**** machine doesn't even start up M$ Networking), with exactly
the same setup on both machines. Now I'm not sure of even which machine
is to be blamed for this.

András