Re: xterm, xhost

Quoting Alec Smith (sweetin@shadowstar.net):
> Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to know what the default
> XTerm*font: setting is would you?

AIUI it is called fixed which is an alias and is translated through
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias where I find
fixed -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
but YMMV.

To change the default, and indeed any of the six alternatives, you
need to put the following in ~/.Xresources (for yourself only):

XTerm*VT100*Font:               9x15
XTerm*VT100*Font5:              10x20
XTerm*VT100*Font6:              12x24

(those are my own, for hamm). Remember xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
for immediate effect.

I would also not recommend using xhost. Install ssh on both machines
(and its dependencies, from the non-US part of the distribution) and
then login to machine paladin by typing

ssh paladin

and you'll have a securer system. The connection will encrypt itself
and also any X programs you run remotely. It should work out of the box.
You may also find it will work on other machines that you connect to,
but if not, it will warn you and fall back to an ordinary unencrypted
connection.

> On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
>
> > > 1. Is there a way to make xterm default to the "large" or "huge" font
> > > sizes? Right now I have to press control and right click on the xterm
> > > window to switch. As I'm legally blind, the default size is too small for
> > > my use.
> >
> > One way to do that would be editing your window manager config file and
> > where it calls for xterm, use xterm -font ***** option, where under -font
> > you can specify any font you need. Including sizes.
> >
> > Another is to add a line to /etc/X11/Xresources that says something like
> > XTerm*font: specify your font here.
> >
> > > 2. I've got two systems I routinely use X apps on, paladin and discover. In
> > > order to use these machines at the moment, I have to use xhost +paladin
> > > locally before I login to them. Where can I put something similar so these
> > > machines are always authorized to open the X server on my machine?
> >
> > Edit the /etc/X11/Xsession file and insert line
> > xhost +paladin
> > in the beginning of it.
> > Same can be done for discover as well.

Cheers,