Re: How to get Debian and (argh!) Windows 95 machines linked through null modem?

Paul Huygen wrote:

> Pablo (Spectra) <plonghi@writeme.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a big problem and little time to solve. Can anyone help me?
> >I have to get a Debian (hamm) machine and a (argh!) Windows 95 one
> >linked through a null modem cable using PPP protocol. The Debian machine can be
> >able to connect Internet through ppp0.
>
> Try Samba. Debian supports Samba. Samba supports the Windows
> networking style via TCP-IP. Alas, I can't help you with the lack of
> time you have. Recently I have set up a network with Samba and it has
> cost me much time and many questions on a local dutch Linux mailing
> list to get it going.
>
> Paul Huygen
>
> --

if you have installed one of the doc-linux packages, then look at the
PPP-HOWTO (on my system, doing zless /usr/doc/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO works)

This has a section about using ppp over a nullmodem cable to connect to
other OSs

Samba is jumping the gun a bit at this stage : - you need to have ppp
connectivity working first, then you might want to think about
file/printer sharing.

frankie

--
Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is
good

	--Peter de Vries

http://www.skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk - Drum'n'Bass music, samples and
links.