System locks on boot!

My system has been running Debian 2.0 fine for several weeks now, but now
locks up on boot.

It first happened when I was in X and was changing routing, IP addresses
etc.  The machine locked up solid and I had to power reset it.  When it
rebooted, it fixed several errors on the drive. It locked up after a few
'cannot find module net_phf5' or something like that, again only a hard
reset did anything.  I can boot fine from the rescue cd, using:
rescue root=/dev/sda1
It starts up and works OK.

The hard drive boots a 2.2 kernel, which I need to get X to work, as i use
the framebuffer device.

How is the simplest way to fix it?