Re: xdm & kdm

> Hi,
>     I have got kde installed, but I never configured my systems to use
> kdm. In my /etc/X11/config, I still have the line start-xdm. and even I
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the reason. If you want to start kdm instead, change it to
start-kdm.

> do a ps, I can only see xdm running, and no kdm. But when I shutdown my
> linux box,
> I got the message:
>     Shut down the kdm display manager....

It just says it executes the /etc/init.d/kdm script (which actually checks
for the start-kdm line on startup but does not on shutdown)

>     checking the local xservers....
>     Shut down the xdm display manager .... xdm is not running....

Here the kdm script already has stopped the xdm.

I have to give you a little warning though. If you upgrade to slink, it
does not have /etc/X11/config file. Instead, xdm is started as soon as you
install the xdm package. In order to switch to kdm you'll need to:
1) remove original /etc/init.d/kdm (it still uses that config file) and
copy it from /etc/init.d/xdm.
2) edit the new /etc/init.d/kdm to replace xdm with kdm.
3) disable original /etc/init.d/xdm either by inserting "exit 0" somewhere
in the beginning of the script, or removing links to xdm from /etc/rc.*/

Sergey.