Re:(solution) What to do with "base"???

*- On  9 Mar, Mark Phillips wrote about "What to do with "base"???"
> My system is now uptodate with the newly released Slink, but there are
> now a number of obsolete packages.  In particular, there are two
> _required_ packages listed as obsolete:
>
>     ------- Obsolete/local Required packages in section base -------
>  *__ Req base     base         1.1.0-14    <none>
>  *** Req base     slang0.99.38 0.99.38-6   <none>
>
> When dselect attempts to delete base, it complains that
>
>     This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
>
> Now I could use dpkg to force its removal, but when I asked about this
> on the list earlier, George Bonser told me:
>
>     NO!!!!!!!! DO NOT REMOVE BASE! IT WILL KILL YOUR SYSTEM!!!
>
>     Just wait, that is a known bug and is on the list of bugs that must be
>     fixed. Leave it until there is a solution for the
>     problem. Otherwise you will remove several vital packages.
>
> But now that Slink has been officially released, has this bug been
> fixed?  Is there a way to safely remove base?  (Not to mention
> slang0.99.38)

If I remember correclty you can remove slang without a problem.  The
solution to remove base without waiting for a clean way to do it in
dselect is, and I quote from
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9707/msg01109.html