Safest way to segregate /usr (or others)

I would like to separate /usr onto its own partition on a different disk.
First, I am under the assumption that this might speed my I/O times
because both disks are Ultra2's.  Secondly given my set-up below, what is
the *safest* method to separate /usr.  I thought of two ways but would
feel safer if I had some outside advice.

/dev/sda = 2.1G
/dev/sdb = 4.5G

Current:
-------------------------
/dev/sda1	/
/dev/sda2	/home
/dev/sda3	/export1
/dev/sda4	swap

Desired:

/dev/sda1       /
/dev/sda2       /home
/dev/sda3       /export1
/dev/sda4       swap

/dev/sdb1	/usr
/dev/sdb2	/export2
/dev/sdb3	/export3

I am open to any other suggestions about ideal partitioning/mount-points
for this new drive but I still desire a safe method to get any new
directories on the new drive.

TIA.

-Ian
Ian Setford                                               ians@unt.edu

		PGP = F2 92 50 E3 CD D7 A2 D9  C4 CE 08 A6 98 E0 0F 58