Re: FrameBuffer - keyboard problems

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 01:52:22PM +0100, Bernhard Dobbels wrote:

> I have an S3 Trio3D video card so i had to use the framebuffer device if i
> wanted a 1024x768 display.
> Now i have some anoying keyboard problems. I can't use the AltGr key
> anymore (it has become left-key). So any key like |@#{}[]`\ i cannot use
> anymore in X.
> The PgUp/PgDn and some other keys aren't working either, but i could solve
> this with xmodmap. Though some people said me this is not a good
> sollution.
>
> I got the keyboard section from sombody with the same videocard and
> was also using Framebuffer device and had the same problems. For him
> this was a sollution, for me not. This is my keyboard section for the
> moment:
>
> Section "Keyboard"
>         Protocol        "Standard" #Standard|Xqueue
> #       XkbDisable
>         AutoRepeat      500 5
>         LeftAlt         Meta
>         RightAlt        ModeShift

If you want AltGr to do the same as Alt, change that to Meta

>         ScrollLock      Compose
>         RightCtl        Control
>         XkbRules        "xfree86"
>         XkbModel        "pc101" #pc101|pc102|xfree86|microsoft

If it's a standard pc keyboard (or <shudder> a windows 95 one) that should
be pc102

>         XkbLayout       "be"
> EndSection
>
> Any help?

The rest is the same as mine, but I also have the following lines:

   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"

They were all put there by XF86Setup; I don't know what difference they make.

Hope that helps,
Matt

--
Matt Folwell, P2 Whewell's Court, Trinity College, Cambridge.  CB2 1TQ
mjf36@cam.ac.uk