Help w Xemacs and hscroll-mode

I have hscroll-mode in emacs but don't appear to have it in Xemacs
20.4.  What happened to this mode and how do I get it back into Xemacs
20.4?

also, when I start emacs the first time I type a character I get an
error

'while opening UMTP file: no such file or directory'

but if I scroll down a page the error goes away and I am able to type.
How can I stop this error from appearing?  It doesn't really prevent me
from doing anything it is just annoying because I always have
to scroll down a page to see what I am doing because it inserts this
error right at my insertion point.

Lance