Re: Maximal Mount Check

> In a message dated 3/4/99 7:40:39 AM Central Standard Time, tpfeifer@snet.net
> writes:
>
> > >  The appear to be tools to `defrag' an ext2
> >  > partition, but I never saw any convincing reasons for using them.  They
> >  > may even be a risk to your data.
> >
> >  I've tried the ext2 defrag program, and while it seems to work OK, I
> >  didn't see any noticable benefit from doing it, other than the fsck
> >  summary information looks better :-)
> >

> So, defragging your disk isn't a normal Debian maintenance task?  Is this true
> for all you guys that have been running Debian "forever"?

Yes, defragging your disk is _not_ a normal Debian maintenance task.  I
have been running linux for some 3 three years now (started with
Slackware) and never defragged a linux disk.  The point is that the
ext2 file system is, unlike fat or vfat, mostly `self-defragmenting'.
This has to do with the way files are written and blocks are
allocated.  Situations where fragmentation on an ext2 file system
becomes so bad that it yields a noticeable deterioration of performance
are rare, I never heard of it.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032