Re: newbie needs clarification

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 11:59:59AM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> Editing XF86Config will cause the change to apply to every X session run
> on your system.  Putting a command in .xinitrc will mean that it only
> affects you.  Which one you use is a matter of personal preference.

There's one important consideration if you use xdm to start X and you
use the XF86Config method. If the fontserver isn't running, X can't
start. By itself this isn't so bad, but xdm immediately tries to
restart X which fails again and so on. While this is going on you
effectively lose control of your console. Unless you have a remote
terminal to kill xdm from you will have to reboot to fix things.

There are lots of ways you can mess up your XF86Config file and cause
this to happen. If you are experimenting with it it's a good idea to
shut down xdm and use startx for testing until you are satisfied with
your changes.

FWIW, I use the XF86Config method, but since I'm on an ethernet it's
only a minor inconvenience to go downstars and telnet in to kill a
wayward xdm.

your pal dave

--
Dave Thayer