Re: Help

	Subject: Re: Help
	Date: Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 06:12:21PM -0600

Quoting Andrei Ivanov(c680789@showme.missouri.edu):

> > Hi I am new to Linux, and am learning fairly quick.  But I am having
> > problems getting my Xserver to work at a higher color depth then 8.  If
> > I try and remove that particular setting in the XF86Config file then it
> > tells me that it cannot find the 8 bpp color setting and there for am
> > unable to start X.
>
> to start it with 16bpp use
> startx -- -bpp 16
>

> > Also is there a way to save screen size I.E.  so that every time I start
> > Netscape I do not have to rezie it to fit the window.  I am using FWM95
> > as my x manager.  I find it annoying to have to resize the windows every
> > time I start X and Netscape.
>
> Most applications allow you to specify the size which they take upon the
> startup. Like, if you call
> xterm -geometry 80x40
> it will produce xterm window of size 80x40.
> Same with emacs, etc.
> I don't know the way it's done in FWM95, but in AfterStep I can edit a
> wharf file (wharf is the controller for AS on my computer) so that when I
> click on an icon it will give me an emacs window of specific size.
> I'm sure there is a way to do that in FWM as well.
> The other way would be to change the /etc/X11/Xresources file and put in a
> string at the end like:
> Netscape*Size: 120x50
> I am not sure about the exact syntax, I'm deriving this from the way I
> initialize fonts for Netscape through Xresources, but try it out.

In your .fvwmrc.

This is from .fvwm95rc
Exec rxvt -name Mail -T Mail -font 10x20 -geometry 100x37 -e mutt -y &
Exec "Netscape" netscape -geometry 920x622+90+5 &'

or in .xinit (to start programs at at startup)

This is in my .xinitrc
xsetroot -cursor_name gumby &
xlnet -geometry +213+725 &
xnet &
pppload -geometry +4+649 &
xosview -geometry +2+775 &

BTW this info IS in the man pages & doc's.  Hint.

--
Old programmers never die.  They just branch to a new address.
Wayne T. Topa <wtopa@ix.netcom.com>