Re: PPP and Modem Question

Well hello again,

I finally got around to working on the Fire Dept. PC again.  I have now
gotten my home PC connecting and working well with my ISP; the same as
the FD in fact the same account.  I then went to the Fire Station and
used the same PPPConfig settings, using CHAT, and now I get past the
Username: and Password prompts and receive a "connection established"
message then pppd fires up and I am back at the connection time-out and
connection terminated with the information about "not clean 8 bit..."

Earlier, John Hasler wrote:

> It looks like the isp for your Fire Dept. box is expecting a chat login and
> you are trying to use PAP.  Dial in with minicom and work through the login
> until you get the garbage that indicates that the isp has started ppp to
> find out just what he wants to see.
>
> > I looked at my Win98 DUN setup and it is using 8N1 for bit settings.  I
> > do not know where to go in PPP to play with the bit settings.
>
> You don't need to.  That error message is misleading.  What is happening is
> that pppd is sending packets to what it thinks is another pppd at the isp.
> The shell at the isp echoes the packets (with bit 7 off because it is in
> text mode) and keeps looking for the rest of the login.  Pppd, which is
> expecting ppp packets, sees that bit seven is cleared and jumps to a wrong
> conclusion.

I am now a bit further along but still not quite there, this is a 56K
ISA modem.

Thank you.

--
Danny R. Gray