Re: Managing multi display hosts

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 10:22:38AM -0600, Chris Frost wrote:
> I have a quick question that I hope ya'll might be able to answer for
> me...
>
> I'd like to setup a second box as an X server that would allow me to treat
> it like another desktop (ala workspace in window maker). I know of the
> -display flags and such, but would like to be able to move a running
> program's display from one box to another (so that I can read a web page
> and have several xterms open and viewable at the same time for example).
> Is there any way to do this? I figured that since Window Maker has built
> in
> support for multi headed boxes, this wouldn't be very different.
>
> tia,
> --
> Chris
> <- Visit Me At <http://www.frostnet.advicom.net/chris/> ->

>                                Public PGP Key:
>      Email chris@frostnet.advicom.net with the subject "retrieve pgpkey" or
>         visit <http://www.frostnet.advicom.net/chris/pgp_key.phtml>

What you want isn't multi-head. Multi-head means that a computer has two graphics cards and multiple X servers
run on those graphics cards, combining the display. There is a package called x2x that lets you emulate this
functionality with two different networked computers. I think it will be able to do what you want.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com