Installation tips for Thinkpad 770?

I am in the process of upgrading from a Thinkpad 760C to a 770 and have
been experiencing problems installing Debian on the 770.  I have tried
installing from DOS but the system panics when it tries to mount the root
filesystem:

     .
     .
     .
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 0,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]
[me=0x0,cs=0,#f=0,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=0,rc=0,fc=4294967
295]
Transaction block size = 512

The same thing occurs if I use the tecra resc1440.bin file.

I also tried to boot from floppy disk.  When I tried to boot from the tecra
rescue disk the system hangs with:

     .
     .
     .
boot:
A20 gating failed

If I boot from the normal rescue disk, the machine reboots itself after
also tried booting my old 760C laptop with the same rescue disks and it
seemed to work fine (I got to the first menu box).

I am out of ideas.  This laptop has 96MB of memory, and about 2GB of disk
space available for linux.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Lee