Problem with MPEG3s

Hi all!

My system is an HP Omnibook 5500 CT running Debian Slink and the Linux 2.2.2
kernel. The following are the sound modules I use (inserted by "modprobe
cs4232")

Module                  Size  Used by
cs4232                  2408   0
uart401                 5904   0  [cs4232]
ad1848                 14992   0  [cs4232]
sound                  56396   0  [cs4232 uart401 ad1848]
soundcore               2148   5  [sound]

and the configuration is

options cs4232 io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=3

Now, one minor problem is that when my computer comes back from suspend it
does not produce any audible output when I play some sound file. When I remove
and reinsert the sound modules, it's working all right. (I added the remove /
reinsert operations to /etc/apm/.)

The real problem is that playing MPEG3s kills my sound system. I experienced
this with freeamp and x11amp (slink and potato versions), and several
different MPEG files (and all the kernel versions I tried: 2.2.0 - 2.2.2, and
even 2.0.36, I think). The file plays all right, but then, when I want to
play something else (any format), the only output I get from my speakers is a
very soft clicking noise at ca. 1 second intervals. The only way to repair
that condition I could find is doing a hard reset (not even a soft reset
will do).

I have no clue what's happening, and I don't even see in principle how a
simple user-space program can screw up my sound system so royally.

Any suggestions anyone?

Best wishes,
Stefan