Re: what is Xconsole and how can I get rid of it...

[adjusted to look better on my screen:]
>	After this morning's apt-get dist-upgrade, a whole bunch of X
> windows stuff got replaced. (I'm running slink.) Now, when I start up,
> I get a console window displaying various system messages. This shows
> up in the lower right corner of my display when the log-in banner is
> running and is still there when kde, my window manager, sets up.
>
>	What's this about? I find it distracting and would like to get
> rid of it.

I think you answered your own question: xconsole is a continously updated
system log displayer. You could always RTFM to find out more, but since you
seem to have an aversion to security I'll stop heckling you about it and
just answer your question.

The file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options probably has the line
	run-xconsole

which, when commented out (#) will get xdm (the program that provides that
"login banner") to stop starting and running xconsole.

Hope that helps,

Alan
surak@imsa.edu