Installation via PCMCIA ethernet card

I am trying to install Debian 2.1 on a Dell Latitude XPi CD via the
network.  This computer has a new hard disk, so I partitioned the disk
with cfdisk, then started to put Debian on the second partition,
leaving the first partition for Windows NT.  I went through the
dbootstrap procedure of configuring the PCMCIA and the network.
Everything worked: I could NFS mount to get base2_1.tgz, and I could
ftp to a Debian mirror to get the packages.  Then I stopped doing that
and went through a painful Windows NT installation.  I finally got
winnt working, and went back to the Debian install.  Now the network
is totally unreachable - I even wiped out the Debian partition and
started over, doing exactly the same thing in dbootstrap that I had
done before.  No luck: I can't ping the machine from outside, and I
can't load anything in Debian.

Is it possible that WinNT (with a Softex cardmanager) reconfigured
something that gets saved in the Etherlink III PCMCIA card?  I did
change something in the BIOS, but it doesn't seem relevant (I disabled
the IR port).  Other than these two possibilities, I don't see how the
WinNT setup could have affect Debian - or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.