Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

I like the machine name, "skunkpussy."  Hehe.

On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 03:54:04AM -0000, Frankie wrote:
> I think that debian needs to adopt a (slightly) aggressive marketing policy,
> to increase its userbase. The fact that it doesn't have professional
> marketers counts in redhat's favour.
> For example, in the last month or so, I have seen one debian logo on a
> website, about 15 redhat logos, and no logos for any other distro.

I personally don't worry about these political/commercial issues.  I
really like and support the Debian ideology, but I use Debian because
it works best for me.  I'll use the distro that's the best, as long as
it's free.  I'm a Linux user, not a distribution marter.

Also, I think Red Hat is a "linux virgin" distrib -- first time Linux
users have probably only heard of Red Hat, and a lot of people feel
the Red Hat installation is easier.  Same way with me when I started,
but I had only heard of Slackware.  Once I knew more about Unix
administration and the like, I realized that a better package system
must exist, one that's FHS compliant.

I don't worry about how many people use Debian, because I figure
Debian's user base and developer base will never decrease, and the
quality of the Distrib will also never decline.  My only concern is a
Linux split: things that work for Red Hat, but not Debian, or the
other way around.  As long as Linux distribs remain compatible with
each other, there should be no worry about the distributions.

If all the time spent bickering and debating distributions was used
for general Linux development and enhancement...

MG

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,