Re: environment variables when X starts

kushnir@pccmu1.fnal.gov (Alexander Kushnirenko) writes:

> In Xsession I read that /etc/environment is sourced once X is launched.  Well
> this file is missing in standard Debian installation :(
>
> Question:
> 1. How common to all users environment variables are supposed to be set in X?
> 2. Is "ln -s /etc/profile /etc/environment" a good idea to solve this problem?

Please test my newly created package 'sysprofile' and it's X11 related
portion 'xsysprofile'.  It is designed for especially this situation
with a lazy sysadmin on a multiuser machine in mind.  It's still not
ready for a final first official release but seems to work as expected
nonetheless.  Until i upload a first version to master you can fetch
the packages from "ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian/unofficial/";.
Currently as of this writing we are at version 0.0.10 with only some
46,840 bytes in 5 files:

	sysprofile_0.0.10.dsc
	sysprofile_0.0.10.tar.gz
	sysprofile_0.0.10_all.deb