no cdrom

Any hints for the stpid?

I have the linux central official debain 2.0binary i36 cd with kernel
2.0.34. It boots. When I get to the "install kernel..." option, it
can't find the cd and hints that I should try iinsmod. "insmod cdrom"
doesn't work. I've added a /cdrom directory and "mount -t iso9660
/dev/scd0 /cdrom" doesn't. My cd was found as /dev/scd0 before trying
to put the new version on.

I went around in circles trying to mount my cd or get the insmod to
find a module when somehow the cd mounted and I could proceed. The
base2 image on the cd is bad. I now seem unable to reproduce the
mounting miracle. I had intended to dd the files to floppy and I hope
to find a valid base2 somewhere.

Elaina