Re: Getting X-Windows to recognize Truetype fonts...

I'm hardly an expert on this, but I can tell you what I did to get it
working. First of all, check the xfstt man page, especially the --sync
option.

When I set this up a few weeks ago, I also had no luck until I ran xfstt
with the --sync option. What this apparently did was generate two files
in my /usr/share/fonts/truetype directory named ttinfo.dir and
ttname.dir, and after that, when xfstt started up on boot (from the
/etc/init.d/xfstt script), I had the ttf fonts available in Netscape
etc.

I believe the command line I used was just:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt --sync

The man page also states that xfstt should NOT be already running when
you use xfstt with the --sync option. It doesn't explain why :-)

Then you do also need the  'xset fp+ unix/:7101 &'  line in your xinitrc
or whatever. You can also just execute that line manually just to see if
things are working. Verify it with the 'xlsfonts | grep ttf' command, as
you were doing before.

Good luck,
Tom