Re: new grep breaks cnews

On 25 Feb 1999, John Hasler wrote:

> I'm happy to see that I am not the only person using cnews on Debian
> despite dselect's attempts to force everyone to use inn.

I have a lot of uucp neighbors and I also move the debian lists and such
to people far away via news using uucp over tcp/ip (compressed news
bundles saves them bandwidth for their expensive telephone connections to
their ISP). cnews handles uucp well and the batchparms give me a lot of
room to configure how it is all spooled up. For others with debian cnews,
I compress it all up with gzip -9 and it just works.

For the couple of nntp feeds that I have, I have my own hack of
nntpd+msgidd. I am using nntplink for outbound nntp. INN just isn't very
efficient unless the machine is a dedicated news box, cnews shares better
on a multi-purpose machine.