AWE 64 problems.

this is the error i get when i try to play bong.wav:
# xwave
XWave: Device doesn't accept 1 channels !
XWave: Error ! Cannot set dsp !

When I try to play a midi device using TkAWEMidi i get this error:
/home/jeff/ttdtheme.mid: can't open sequencer device

I attached the bong.wav I tried to play.  I'm using potato debian I
tried it under
windowmaker I do have some gnome stuff installed and I also load up
fvwm2 to give
it a try and got the same error.  I'm not sure what else I can do?

I'm pretty sure everthing is set up right because it recognizes all my
sound stuff correctly if I do a cat /proc/sound.