Re: A question about HP DeskJet 710C

> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:18:33 -0600, Matt Garman wrote:
>
> [...]
> >I believe the 710c is the same series of the 712c.  I accidentally
> >bought a 712c, which _IS_ a Windows-only printer.  I returned it for a
> >697c, which I'm very happy with, and works great under Linux.
>
> You're right. According to the HP US web site the two only differ in that
> the 712C doesn't come with a CD-ROM.
>
> One interesting note: The German website says the 710C is a "HP PCL 3
> Enhanced" printer! See
>
>   http://www.hewlett-packard.de/printer/ink/dj710p.html
>
> Strange, eh?

This probably refers to the DOS-box-under-Windows drivers that come with
it.  It confused me quite a bit as well.  I've got a 710C, partly beyond
my own control, and I must say the current black and white support with
pbm2ppa (see http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/index.html) is as
good as it gets for 600 dpi.  It appears there are some gs versions
around that produce broken pbmraw, but I didn't have any problems with
debian so far.  Color support is in the works.  If you are stuck with a
710C or another PPA printer, be sure to check out this web page.  If you
can get one with hardware PCL support, get that one.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032