Re: hostname & domain name changing

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Pollywog wrote:

> I just noticed that Debian has no /etc/system.cnf file.
> When I used OpenLinux, if I changed hostname and forgot to edit that file in
> addition to the ones named above, the hostname would revert to the old one as
> soon as I rebooted the machine.

That is because of Caldera's sysadmin tool. It is not a linux thing, it is
a Caldera thing. With debian you just change the hostname in /etc/hostname
and run a hostname command with the new hostname. If you reboot, it does
not set the hostname back. That is one of the annoying things with Caldera
and S.u.S.E. If you do not use their sysadmin tools, you find your changes
reversed on your next reboot.