help with remote modem

Hi all,

a friend of mine has a machine with both an ethernet and a modem and he'd like
to use it to dial in from home. I tried to help him out but I got problem with
the modem and the machine is about 1000 miles away ...

I used minicom to talk to the modem. The modem is there but it's weird: it
gives error to AT&V. When i tried to call from another machine I got the RING
but when I try to ATA (answer) the modem sits there till I get NO CARRIER. Can
you help me to understand what's wrong with it?

thanks
graziano
--
Fuiri e' vergogna ma e' savvamentu di vita.