RE: problem networking after a reboot

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Pollywog wrote:

> The kernel messages on boot indicate the network script runs, but I still have
> to rerun it.

It is probably getting run BEFORE the pcmcia setup is being run. As a
quick test, you might look in /etc/rcS.d and see if the pcmcia startup
stuff is in there. If it is, check to see if the S?? number is higher or
lower than the S40network.  If the number is higher, it is getting run
after the network setup. If it is not there, look to see if it is in
/etc/rc2.d. If so, again, it is getting run AFTER the network setup.

In other words, the scripts in /etc/rcS.d get run in the order of the
numbers associated with them. THEN the scripts associated with the
runlevel (I am assuming you are not using xdm and are booting up to
runlevel 2) are executed. Depending on what number is assigned to the
pcmcia setup scripts and where they are located, they could be running
AFTER the net setup rather than before forcing you to manually re-run the
network setup script.