From: Jens K. Olsen
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 1999 6:32 AM
Subject: Help. How do I reconfigure my the network?

Please I need some help.
I have Debian GNU/Linux running on my Sony VAIO PCG-505G which I carry
around to different offices. I need to connect to the networks in the
different offices so I can download my e-mail and stay in contact with the
rest of the world.
When I installed Linux I set up the network to work in my main office. It
works like a dream. Now I am down in another office, and I can't get the
network to work right. I have changed the following files to fit the new
network:
/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts
/etc/networks  (Did not make any difference at all. Is still looking at the
network in the main office.)
/etc/resolv.conf
Since it did not work I deleted the IP address and default router using
route and added a new IP address and default route. After this I was able to
ping all the machines in the office, but not the router nor any machines
outside the office. Based on this, I am getting the impression that the
problem lies in the set up of my default router.
Can anyone please help me !