Help. How do I reconfigure my the network?

Please I need some help.
I have Debian GNU/Linux running on my Sony VAIO PCG-505G which I carry around to different offices. I need to connect to the networks in the different offices so I can download my e-mail and stay in contact with the rest of the world.

When I installed Linux I set up the network to work in my main office. It works like a dream. Now I am down in another office, and I can't get the network to work right. I have changed the following files to fit the new network:

/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts
/etc/networks  (Did not make any difference at all. Is still looking at the network in the main office.)
/etc/resolv.conf

Since it did not work I deleted the IP address and default router using route and added a new IP address and default route. After this I was able to ping all the machines in the office, but not the router nor any machines outside the office. Based on this, I am getting the impression that the problem lies in the set up of my default router.

Can anyone please help me !