xbiff for remote mail?

Question:  I would like to have an xbiff-type mail alert on my
desktop, but I read my mail off of a remote server.  Is there an easy
way to do this?  The only ways I can think of are to set it up to
check through fetchmail (though I don't want to download my mail;
that's why I set up IMAP in the first place) or to set up some kind of
telnet script and start the xbiff on my shell account at school.
Could anybody help me get started in either/both of these directions?

I think I could also use fetchmail -c -d, but that wouldn't be
gooey, which is more what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot,
Rob

--
If God had intended Men to Smoke, He would have put Chimneys in their Heads.