Re: partitions for sun sparc 10

  AW> I would like to install debian on a sun sparc 10 with 64 megs and
  AW> 4 gigs of disk space.
  AW> How many partitions can I create? Are there primary and extended partitions?
  AW> There are following partitions on the system now.

  AW> /root	128.25 MB
  AW> /swap	128.25 MB
  AW> /var	128.25 MB
  AW> /opt	128.25 MB
  AW> /usr	128.25 MB
  AW> /usr/local	1.13 GB
  AW> /home	2.26 GB

  AW> Can you give me some hints, please?

You can create as many partitions as you please, but I see no need to
do this.  As far as I know, the primary and extended partition
restrictions are DOS/Intel limitations.

Your existing partitions are fine: I'd leave them as is, except change
/usr and /usr/local around, i.e.

 /root		128.25 MB
 /swap		128.25 MB
 /var	        128.25 MB
 /opt   	128.25 MB
 /usr/local	128.25 MB
 /usr		1.13   GB
 /home		2.26   GB

You can change these assignments by simply editing the /etc/fstab file.

For a base Debian install, you won't _need_ the /opt or /usr/local
partitions, but you might install some KDE or StarOffice applns, and
then these partitions might be a convenient place to put them.

--
Phil