rm /var -> dpkg ???

Hello,

Recently, i have done something really stupid: rm -r /var
and, yes, everything was away, including my /var/backup directory!
Yes, i know, it's no place for a backup.
Everyting is restored now.

Just all the info that dpkg put there is away and i cannot run dpkg
anymore. Is there some kind of rebuilding-tool for recreating the
database?

Any help is welcome.

It is I, the absent-minded,

Bernhard

BTW is there a possibility to change the background of my console screen,
so that ls --color still works. I want to give the root screen a little
different color: maybe darkgray or so.

--
Bernhard Dobbels 	Student Electronic Engineer
			option Automation and Computersystems.